After having read many posts today, I felt it a good idea to Reblog Jim Frimmer's post from June. And FGS (ask and I will tell you what that means), please proofread.
I recently got called out for improper use of the word Realtor.
I wasn't sure what I was doing wrong because I always capitalize it, although that is the third preferred use.
The preferred use is REALTOR®.
The second preferred use is Realtor®.
However, the National Association of Realtors, recognizing that putting registered symbols or all-caps REALTORs throughout text can easily dilute the message of the text for the general public, allows the third preferred use of Realtor, with just an initial capital letter.
In all instances, though, realtor with all lower case is not proper.
Also note that Realtor© or any other form with the copyright symbol is incorrect. Realtor is not copyrighted. It is registered (®).
Note that Realtor™ or any other form with the trademark symbol is also incorrect.
If you like the registered symbol, ®, you can easily make it on any keyboard by holding the ALT key down and then typing 174 on your keypad, the numbers at the right of your keyboard. Don't use the numbers at the top; those won't work. If 174 doesn't work in your software or browser, simply use 0174. Apple folks, you're on your own since I use PCs here.
What I did not know is that only people can be Realtors. Well, I knew that but had forgotten my grammar rules. So when I said, "Jim Frimmer, your Mission Valley Realtor," I was using Realtor improperly. Mission Valley cannot be a Realtor. Nor can California, as in "your San Diego, California, Realtor."
However, Realtor can be used by itself, as in "your Realtor in Mission Valley."
I've noticed that I'm not the only one here at ActiveRain using Realtor improperly. In fact, after being called out for improper use, I've been noticing that many other people are using it improperly. In fact, some of them are people who have been real estate agents (although perhaps not Realtors) for 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35 years longer than me.
I'm wondering if the rules have changed recently, which simply means that one should do an annual check on one's business to make sure that it still meets all the rules and regulations under which we operate.
If you need more information on how to properly use Realtor and its various forms, see the National Association of Realtors web site.
If you're looking for a great Realtor in San Diego, well,
let me Google one for you.
I'm available 24/7, so feel free to contact me by phone or email.
Try RusselRayPhotos.com for inexpensive, royalty-free photos.
Recent blog posts:
- Calling all cats. Calling all cats. — Please put a picture of your cats in this post. We're trying to get as many cat pictures as possible by the end of 2010.
- When Father's Day weekend is over....
- What do cats, dogs, and pigs have in common?
- San Diego Mission Valley condos with your Realtor, Jim Frimmer — River Scene
- Real estate news with your Realtor, Jim Frimmer — San Diego County foreclosures fall 30%
- Real estate news with your Realtor, Jim Frimmer — May 2010 reports are in and it's continuing good news for San Diego County real estate
- Out & About with Jim Frimmer, your Realtor in Mission Valley — March Field Air Museum
- Anyone here speak Russian?
- Open house update for Sunday, June 13, 2010
- My Clients liked their new condo!
- Out & About with Jim Frimmer, your Realtor in Mission Valley — Welcome aboard the N.R.P. Sagres
- 500,000 points on the nose!
- Out & About with Jim Frimmer, your Realtor in Mission Valley — Public art sometimes moves in unexpected ways
- Things I don't understand
- Open house update for Sunday, June 6, 2010
- San Diego Mission Valley condos with Jim Frimmer — Proposed northward extension of the San Diego Trolley
- If you are willing to work open houses properly, they can work for you, too!
- IKEA recalls about 1,900 Sultan Heidel spring mattresses
- Meet your ActiveRain newbies from April 2010
- Out & About with Jim Frimmer, your Realtor in Mission Valley — Memorial Day Events in San Diego County
My favorite ActiveRain Groups:
Marge Draper, REALTOR
KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY MENLO PARK